Sunday 9 March 2014

Assignment Two - Reflections

Well, if I'm brutally honest, I'm not sure this was my greatest assignment to-date.  I don't think this assignment shows a progression in conceptual thinking in the way that Assignment One did (and hopefully Assignment Three will).  The photographs submitted feel more like study/experimental photographs than a piece of work.  I may (undecided yet) reshoot this exercise completely before formal assessment.

I am still not clear on what benefit using Spot metering brings, apart from when you are shooting a backlit portrait and want the subject exposed correctly.  I understand it's useful to focus on a grey point to get the exposure when you are shooting dynamic extremes, but my camera (Nikon D5000) copes very well with matrix metering, and I can still use it to focus on a grey point.  Using Spot metering seems to me to cause exposure problems...so it might be that I need to do some more work on this.

I think I fulfilled the brief, but, have I fulfilled the Assignment criteria? 

Development of technical and visual skills

I think the only photograph that demonstrates a real improvement in technical ability is the Thames Barrier big stopper shot: (this one is cropped to show what it would have looked like if processing had been allowed):


Quality of Outcome and Demonstration of Creativity

Again, I think these images are of a study quality rather than a coherent piece of work, or an attempt at producing original thought.  But, that seemed to me also to be the nature of the assignment.   Of all the images submitted, I think the one above and also this one shot in Reykjavik are the best in terms of producing Landscapes photographs.


Context

I didn't bring context into this assignment for the reasons stated above.  If I did decide to reshoot the entire assignment, I would perhaps produce a study on a theme that all four categories will be relevant to.


I also thought back to some images I'd taken previously that showed good treatment of dynamic range (all matrix metered):

Paddington March 2013
From Broadgate Tower October 2013
Castlerigg Circle December 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment