Saturday 22 March 2014

Feedback to Assignment Two

Feedback on Assignment Two was largely positive in terms of technical skills, however my tutor felt that I needed to use more variety in composition techniques.  I think for this particular Assignment that I struggled to get into, that was a fair comment, however, I see a lot of photography that is very successful with central composition, so I will continue to use it when appropriate, but will aim to include more variety in my next assignment.

My tutor also commented that I need to reflect on my own work more and those of others.  My reflections on other photographer's work is available from this link but I will try to build this more into my assignments.  She also recommended I read Photography The Key Concepts by David Bate (follow link for my reflections on this).  Going forward I need to think more about connotation and denotation in my work, and also to think more about who might see the work, what feelings it evokes, and the purpose of the image.  I find this slightly incongruous given the technical level of the course (i.e. still teaching about white balance yet expecting us to produce conceptual art?), but I will try to do this.

A good point my tutor mentioned was that my image of the statues from Reykjavik was beginning to show personal voice as it had shown a perspective that other people may not have chosen.  This is great to hear, and a step in the right direction for travel photography!



I am however seriously considering whether it's worth reshooting the whole assignment.  Since submission, I had the idea that I could shoot the same subject matters but to do a study of London landmarks, or even New York or Washington DC landmarks (if I'm lucky enough to get a trip in the near future!).  I am going to Tokyo at Christmas, but hopefully by then I will be deeply ensconced in People and Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment