Sunday 18 May 2014

Sony World Photography Awards 2014

I stopped by the Sony World Photography Awards at Somerset House this week; an amazing and eclectic collection of talent.  And lots in quantity!

There were six photographers that really stood out for me (from the prints).

Alejandro Cegarra - Tower of David an amazing perspective on what is essentially dreadful social housing / squat residence; I felt these images had a strong theme of prison/incarceration running through them, but at the same time, a sense of freedom.  Very striking and beautiful photography and relevant to my own exploration of monochrome in the course work, with clean lines and strong graphics.

Michael Nichols - Short Happy Life of a Serengeti Lion - I'd seen his images before in National Geographic and at the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition - and am always happy to see them again.   I even have a fridge magnet of one of his lions!  The image below, really works for me. Apart from the complicated grouping and variety of facial expressions, the face of the lioness on the right-hand side resting on the back of another, is just amazing.  She looks sooooo happy and relaxed!  And the clarity, lucidity, sky colour, texture - are all fabulous - and it looks like he was so close!

The Short Happy Life of a Serengeti Lion (c) Michael Nichols

Wolfgang Weinhardt - Samsara - just astonishing.  I wondered if it had been manufactured as the perspective is so vertical, but reading the text it obviously hadn't.  Really like the minimal colour palette - wish I'd been able to take something like this for the pattern exercise in TAOP!

Chen Li - Rain in an Ancient Town - stunning - amazing use of light and atmosphere.  And how amazing that people actually cross like this - is it a river or flooded street/valley?  Really like the way the lines converge into the mountains and the storm - looks a bit Lake District!

Hairul Azizi Harun - (untitled - Malaysia) - funny - a lot going on in this picture.  I love the fact that the woman chucking the water out of the window isn't looking at what she's doing.

Gert Van Den Bosch - Cold Pony - I've seen these ponies in Iceland and they look like they are freezing.  Van Den Bosch has really captured a sense of isolation and cold for this poor creature!


Next year, I will go on a Saturday rather than after work - there was so much to see and I didn't have enough time to really take it all in.  Such a variety of themes and perspectives - a truly stunning collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment